Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by rickt300
So is that really easier than adding a 0 after the decimal point? That said one micrometer jumps down to the point of being overly small at 0.00003937 inch's. .0001 equals 2.54 micrometers, which number would you rather calculate with?.001 being 25.4 micrometers which would you rather calculate with?
The problem is, you are still thinking conversions.

If working in metric, that is all you do. Just move the decimal point. If you were running metric, your tolerance would not be 2.54 microns. It would be 2 microns, or 3 microns. Just as in the previous example with .003 inches.

You just move the decimal, whether working with the infinitesimally small or infinitely large.

Has anyone ever expressed the distance from Chicago to Boston in inches and decimals? No, it is miles, and rods, (admittedly archaic, but still on plats), yards, and feet. Oh yes, don't leave out furlongs.

I have already said that once you start working in inches divided into thousandths them the calculations are exactly the same for both systems, just move the decimal point or add a 0. In fact you agree in saying that, metric is not easier than inch. However " is easier to type and takes fewer figures than UM or MM. One has to also admit that speed limit signs in Kilometers are hilarious.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]