Originally Posted by rickt300
For those that only dabble in math then sure the Metric system works but for those who have to apply said math then it sucks. If you ever had to work off a print that was converted to inches from metric or inches to metric you would see the light. That and still today most measuring devices are still inch. Add to this that often the smallest dimension on metric measuring devices is .5 MM which is 0.019685, kind of coarse actually when your tolerances are inside .001. .1mm is still more than .003 inch at 0.003937. Face it for making tight tolerance parts metric is not as easy to use. This all said when the inch is divided into thousandths all the way out the math is just as simple as the math for metric.
Maybe in your world...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Though I didn't use it down to the second decimal point but it accurately defines the first. During the last few years of my career every part I made was from a metric 3D model. If someone needed a 2D print I'd have to make one up using Mastercam, revert it to imperial and then dimension the part and send it off to the plotter to print off a blueprint.