Originally Posted by Seafire
just passing it on, but you look at pressure specs for H4831SC... you can't get enough in a 270 case to exceed SAAMI specs, regardless of bullet weight... at least up to 160 grain NOSLER SMPs....

same with the old Speer 170 grain RNs.... accuracy is pretty darn good also...

and it ain't temp sensitive either.

H4831 has worked so well for so long, why would anyone even want to stray from it??? That is my only question. Of course there are newer powders out there. Are there really any better powders for this classic cartridge? Also, to the poster that said it's not good enough to push 150's, I don't think any deer would ever even know that they were not being pushed at top velocities. I loaded some 150's for my 270's the other day and the results were pretty good with H4831. . However, if you want some impressive speed, you can use RL26. That powder pushes the 150 right along. But from what I've seen, you don't get quite as good of accuracy/precision either. It's a give and take, and I usually try to take all the accuracy I can get. JMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA