Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Garandimal
...Saying a deer would not know that H4831sc can't push the 150's at a decent velocity is therefore no authority at all. I get about 2750 fps with a maximum load of H4831sc with the 150's. With the 140's I get just over 3000 fps with a maximum load of H4831sc. I'm far better off using 130's or 140's than 150's with H4831sc.

2800 fps., for a good .277/150 gr. bullet, IS a decent velocity.

Even for the lowly SPEER Grand Slam, BC 0.378, that's 2,100 fps./1500 ft-lbs. at 300 yards.

No complaints.

GR
Perhaps in absolute terms that is reasonable. However, relative to what other cartridges and/or bullets and powders can do, it is not very good. Also, in terms of efficiency, such a large case burning so much powder for 2750 fps is not good, relative to what other combinations can achieve.

So you are advancing the academic theory of, "dead-er?"

Like women, am not too impressed with the new variety all y'all think is so great.

The old kind works just fine, and has for almost a hundred years, and the women much longer than that.

And killin' game at 3-400 yards with <60 grn. of powder, v. 70 or 80 grn's?

Is efficient.

And a fast-twist .270 will extend that out to 600 yards.

GR
Theory of "dead-er": No, just the theory of using maximum point-blank range with a scope that you don't have to play around with turning the dials (and wasting valuable time) before you take the shot at game up to around 400 yards, and having a scope that only weighs around 11 or 12 ounces instead of 1 1/2 pounds.

You guys still discussing/arguing about this? Even factory, semi round nosed 150gr ammo will put them where you want at 400 yards. Very easily, I might add.

Here's the most recent example I can share with you: Super old rifle, using a 13 oz scope that does not get "dialed":
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Confirm zero at 100:

200 yards:

300 yards:

400 yards:

Crap factory ammo, who needs high bc right:

So you are trying to tell us that a more sleek 150gr handload will not work? I am still going to call BS man. The proof is right there in front of you, on paper.

The 7" circle on the paper represents a small vital zone. There is no deer walking the face of the earth that is going to absorb one of those 150gr pills and live to tell about it. It will be dead, or "deader" if you prefer.
Now, where I used to hunt, elk were mainly on the menu. So I personally feel more comfortable with a 150gr pill in my 270 winchesters. I used to load 150gr Nosler partitions with about 60gr's of RL26 and get around 3,000 fps. That combination is plenty for any elk I've ever seen. That's not saying a 130 won't work either, but I still prefer the 150, even if it's starting velocity is 2,800 fps. YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA