Originally Posted by Seafire
I get a lot more than just 10 reloads out of brass fired with H4831SC in either 270 or 06.

Just to prove a point, I've gotten over 25 reloads out an 06, with the primer pockets still tight, with loads of 62.5 grains of
H4831SC and a 220 grain bullet, or 65 grains with a 200 grain bullet. Non Magnum primers used. Will tell ya this tho, the load is full enough, if it is NOT CRIMPED, it'll back right out of there as the brass decompresses. With a 220 grain, the velocity hovers around 2950 to 2975 depending on brand of brass used.

If anyone remembers when I posted this long ago, I was getting flamed all over the place., for like 20 pages. That was until "Mike" from Nosler logged in and supported my findings. I was being asked if I had a pressure measure, which was NO of course.. so the first thing they did, was do the same to "Mike". His answer, why yes I do, I have an entire pressure lab available. He left his phone number with an invitation to anyone who wanted to call him on the subject. I noted it was a 541 area code here in Oregon. So I called it, and the secretary answered it "Nosler Bullet How May I Direct Your Call?"

That 20 page long thread of flaming me, was on page 3 in about 48 hours after that. " Mike " at the time was the Chief Ballistician at Nosler. He asked how I came to know what I did, and told him I had just worked it up at the load bench, when someone had asked what was the max velocity capable out of an 06 with a 200 grain bullet. I thought about it and decided to find the answer out for myself. Consulted some reload manuals and noted the pressure posted on regular loads ya see, and noted it was a good bit lower than what max SAAMI specs were for the 06. Did the 270 next, but no one questioned that after the end results of the 06 thread.

So there ya go...
Jebuus. I only thought I was a masochist.

I went to 63 gr H4831 with the Hornady 190 btsp in a Win 670 30-06. That SOB just about killed on both ends. The only rig and load I ever "scoped" my eyebrow with. Shooting up hill from a prone position on a downhill slope.

I thought I was doing good to get 63 gr in the LC 67 brass. I laid the brass against the spindle on a vibratory tumbler as I poured the powder in.

I played a bit with IMR4831 and that 190. With IMR 4831, I hit 2900 fps with the 190 from a 22 inch barrel. But I only shot enough of them to develop a charge wt vs velocity curve for the powder.

Yes, that is how I developed my load data. Interpolation, and plotting lots of powder wt/velocity curves. A couple wildcats with no data available, the 260 rem before data was in the books, 7mm STW with just Layne Simpson's original Shooting Times data to work from. I even measured hundreds of cases for expansion, until I came to the same conclusion as Denton. The signal to noise ratio is to low to gain any meaningful data.

l always dreamed of owning a pressure trace. But I don't do enough of that type experimentation today to make one worth while.

H 4831 will do anything that can be done with medium to heavy weight bullets in the 25-06, 270, 280, or 30-06. Unless you are running them through a Remington 742. That bitch would not keep five on a 9" paper plate at 100 yds until I tried some 3031 with the 165 nbt I was using. Then it became a hunting rifle again.

I had 300 pieces of brass for the '06, and over about 15 years shot thousands of rounds through them. I don't think I ever lost one to a loose primer pocket.

As I lost interest in the '06, they all got turned into 25-06 or 270 ammo and given away.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.