Originally Posted by Remington280
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by RinB
John,
Have you tried R16?
R

Yes, but only with 130 and 140-grain bullets, in a Mossberg Patriot rifle, which had a 22" barrel. It worked really well with the 130 Nosler E-Tip, with groups well under an inch at right around 3100 fps. With Nosler 140 AccuBonds it grouped around an inch, at a little over 3000.

Basically RL-16 is about like IMR4350 in burn-rate, but double-based and very temp-resistant, with a decoppering agent. Have had the best luck with it in moderate-capacity 6.5s like the .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor.

After using the 4831s for a half century, I thought I'd try the RL16 as I had a lot of it. It's now my go-to powder for my 270s and the 130TTSX or 129 LRX.......very tight groups ad velocity in 3100s out of my Mountain Ascent.
It's worked very well on a moose, a caribou and a wolf. The LRX sheds it's petals easily at very close ranges but the slug went end to end on a bull caribou.

Perfect, I've been looking for a good 270 load....problem is RL16 is very hard to find.

Yep, that can be one of the problems with Alliant powders. I just checked Internet availability of RL-16. A bunch of sites list it, but most are ones I've never dealt with before. They may be legit, but apparently this latest "shortage" has brought some sketchy ones out.

The one I've dealt with before that shows it in stock is MidwayUSA--at a price of $339 for an 8-pounder, which is all they list in stock.

And that's before adding shipping and hazmat. One of the "new" sites listed 8-pounders in stock for $265--which makes me suspicious.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck