Mule Deer,

I was reading some posts on the Africa forum and saw a post you made that was something to the effect of one could probably hunt a lifetime and not see an appreciable difference between using a 7x57 and a .30-06 when using bullets of the same construction and comparable weight (I'm assuming you meant 160 gr 7mm vs. 165 gr 30 caliber and 175 gr 7mm vs. 180 gr 30 caliber).

I know 100 fps here or there does not matter much in hunting applications, but I was wondering what 7x57 velocities are typical for you with various 7mm bullet weights and how you came to decide on those velocities? (because in some loading manuals there is a very large difference between 7x57 velocities and .30--06 velocities for the same weight bullets). I'm guessing you are using "modern" pressure loads (perhaps ones comparable in either pressure or velocity to 7mm-08 loads?), and obviously the caveats that the loads are safe in your gun(s), etc. apply.

Also, what 7mm bullet weights do you typically use for different applications (pronghorn, deer, caribou, elk, African plains game, etc.)?

Thanks.