Ramblin_Razorback,

You really hit a soft spot by inquiring about the 7x57. But you specifically asked for a response from Mule Deer, so I waited patiently before barging in with my uninvited $.02. Mule Deer has replied now - not once, but twice - so here I am. smile

I, too, like the 7x57 with 160 grain jacketed bullets. I have worked with many other calibers that perform as well and kick harder, but none perform better.

Two bullets have performed admirably for me: Speer Hot-Cor spitzer and Speer Mag Tip. There really is no need to try other bullets, but I will anyway just for the experience (and in case I am missing something). These will eventually include the likes of 175 grain Hornadys and 140 grain TTSX.

I currently own 3 rifles chambered in 7x57, all Rugers: One M77R (tang safety), one M77 MkII, and one #1A. These are all superbly accurate rifles. The M77 MkII is one of the smoothest, most reliable and well-balanced rifles I have owned. It is definitely a favorite. I really like the tang-safe M77R and thought it near the top choice in my modest battery UNTIL I got the MkII. I only wish they had the excellent Ruger open sights. The #1A is...uh...well, you just have to own one to understand, I guess, and even then it doesn't really make sense. Repeaters are more efficient hunting tools than single-shots, but there's just something about them.

I stuff a couple more sniffs of H4350 into my 7x57s than Mule Deer. The tang-safe model will handle a bit heavier charge than the MkII, but I doubt the game will know the difference. If a guy can get 2650-2700 fips with a 160 grainer, like Mule Deer has said, then that guy is ready to kill a lot of game, and it won't rupture any blood vessels in his shoulder either (or detach any retinas). It will just drill a fair-sized wound channel deep into any animal, and if that wound is in the right place, the animal is quickly reduced to possession.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.