John,

Yeah, these days you don't need anything more than 140's in the 7x57, Along with the 140 TSX, Nosler will have a 140 E-Tip on the market soon, and there are dozens of other good ones as well.

But I had already gone through a 140-grain phase, and had a lot of newer bullets in the 160 range on the shelf that needed testing (156 Norma Oryx, 154 Hornady Interbond, 160 North Fork). Along with that, I like the way standard bullets work at 2700, and found that with my rifle sighted in with the Sierras, all the others would shoot close enough to work.

To everybody else,

I must emophasize that my 7x57 is on a strong, modern action, the "short" Montana 1999 action, which has a 3.1" magazine, just right for the 7x57. I certainly would not load it any hotter even so--and there is no reason, as the load used does the job. The load I am using is not a starting load, but a MAXIMUM.

I have already written many times about how I just don't bother with old Mauser military actions anymore. They are simply not as good as modern actions (either Mauser 98 or not) and the cost involved in making them into top-flight sporter actions is way too much. But if anybody is bound and determined to do so, I would take it to a real gunsmith to be checked out.

I sure hope Ruger brings the Hawkeye out in 7x57. Apparently they don't chamber it anymore in the 77 Mark II, which I regard as a very good rifle. I once owned one in 7x57 and it shot fine, and was about the right weight.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck