I have a pet 7x57,built by Flaig's in the 1960s. I rescued it from a pawn shop in Meridian Mississippi. It looks for all the world like it was built for Eleanor O'Connor.

It has a very nice English walnut stock in the classic style with tasteful checkering,it is built on an Brno action and features a 2-7 Leupold in period Redfield mounts. I have not handloaded for it yet but it will put Hornady Light Mags and Norma factory stuff in neat little groups at 100 yards that run about an inch or a little better. It weighs about 8 pounds scoped and balances like a fine bird gun.

It is really pleasant to shoot,the man who ordered it and the people who built it both knew what they were doing. It shows signs of honnest use but no abuse and is fast becoming a favorite.

It really is quieter and more pleasant recoil wise than my 7mm-08s and 280s. I think this may be due to the lower presures and gas effect in the older cartridge.

It produces with these loads about the same velocity as the 7mm-08 but the larger case capacity must lower pressures enough that the 7x57 is more pleasant to shoot in guns of similar weight.

It's hard to beat a nice 7x57 for it's combination of user friendliness and effective killing on game.

Britt

Last edited by ruraldoc; 12/20/07.