Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I had to kill one of my horses last year,the neighbor bought a mustang stud at an auction and it got in my pasture and broke one of my gelding's legs.

I killed him with what I had in the truck,which happened to feature a 140 grain bullet out of a 280. The balistic silvertip killed him like a lightning strike.

Britt

My son came home recently after being asked by a local farmer to take out one of his cows that was tangled in an electric fence for a long period and was totally fubar.

He chose my Rigby 275 and some 175 grain Woodleigh Weldcores for the job. When he returned home he commented that for a little cartridge, it sure kills bigger animals easy.

Yes it does, my son.

AGW

Even elephants, too, apparently.

My mother just sent me a copy of any article from August 9th, 1935, from the Peru Tribune in Peru, IN. This is my hometown, and it was once the winter quarters for several national circuses. The article talked about the demise of a "mad bull" elephant named "Vance".

J. Omer Cole Fires Bullet Into Brain of Treacherous Pachyderm

...'Vance' had been treacherous and caused a lot of trouble, and therefore it was decided to "Put him away." ... J. Omer Cole, farmer and big game hunter who has been declared "Lord High Executioner" of elephants at the winterquarters shot "Vance" Sunday in the presence of a number of spectators. One bullet was fired into the elephants' brain and another through his heart. Death came practically without a struggle. After the first shot "Vance" acted like he was going through a regular performance as he had done many times before circus audiences. He squatted down on his haunches and then spread out his front feet and died. Then three caterpillar tractors were coupled onto the carcass which was dragged to a field and buried."

J. Omer was my Great Grandfather, and his rifle was a mauser in .275 Rigby. His house was filled with more than a dozen mounts of NA game animals. I figured he would've been really proud of having an elephant to his credit. Then again, he didn't exactly "stalk" it... and the taxidermists in small-town Indiana might not have known what to do with an elephant!

Someone should have told those hunters in Africa what a great elephant-killer the 7x57 was! (TIC!!!!)

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC