Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Seafire
If I go anywhere it will back home to Southwestern Virginia, or SE West VA....my home roots... its pretty rural, people are pretty well armed and programmed to defend their home and property...

You think those areas are going to be easier to remain "free" than the rural western states?

I found quite by accident a beautiful little community in south eastern West Virginia. It is quite isolated from the hustle and bustle of modern life but reasonably close to a major highway and fairly close to Beckley. The name of the place is Odd, and while that is an odd name it is really named Odd. I used the Odd Road as a cut through from Highway 77 and headed east over to Highway 16.

When I got to my lodging that night I did a search on the village of Odd and found out that while it is isolated and has a low population it is indeed a famous place. Real estate there should be affordable and should remain rural.

Well Hastings... that is exactly the place where the Lilly family Reunion is held. I have many ancestors buried right in that area, that have been in that area since the very early 1700s. Lillys and Meadows as last names... the Meadows got off at Jamestown in 1607, and there some of the few to survive the first two years, when 80% of them died.

Take a right turn off I-77, go about 400 yds and you hit old US 19 south. Turn right, go about 500 yds, take a left turn going south bound.. there is a church right there on a curve, across the road is the Family Reunion Farm... out front is a grave stone....Robert Lilly and Francis Moody.. They are patriarchs of the family Reunion.. It was started by my Great GrandFather and his brothers in 1929.

Talk about tough Genes....As posted on their Grave Stone there in Odd, WVa, in front of the farm the family Reunion is held at each year.... Both Robert and Francis were born in 1696, and were together and moved into Western Virginia at the time in the Early 1700s. As posted on their grave stone...Francis died in 1806, and Robert died in 1810.. she was a 110 at the time of her death and Robert was 114 at the time of his.

You were probably thinking Hastings of US Hwy 19, instead of a Hwy 16. But Hwy 16 just goes a little further west.
https://alavigne.net/Motorsports/ImageGallery/2008/10-AppalachianRoadTrip/?p=wv16-va16.. plenty of good pictures on that site....

South of Odd on old Hwy US 19, you come across a very small bridge, with just a creek under it...It is named Hank Williams Bridge.. its so small you have to look for it... but it was at that little Bridge, the kid driving Hanks car, stopped and Realized Hank Williams had passed away.... He was taken to the hospital there in Beckley. I 77 replaced old US 19 as the main road southbound. US 19 starts up in NY State and ends just across the Kentucky line...

https://www.facebook.com/p/Southern-WV-Lilly-Family-Reunion-100077092251805/

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez