Originally Posted by Trystan
I was at the rifle range shooting awhile back! I had placed my target on the 500 yard line. An older fella, perhaps it was you I don't know, told me I had no buisiness shooting at 500 yards because you can't hunt game ethically at 500 yards. His target was places at 100 yards. We both shot 5 shots and went down range to aquire our targets. My group was 5 shots In less than 2". His group was 5 shots into 4 ish inches. My question is this.........do I have more buisiness hunting game at 500 yards than he does at 100 yards ? Or is consistency of shooting or group size even relevant?

Trystan

Group size and POI is always relevant. Doesn't matter how far away your target is. It does matter how consistently you can hit your POA, or how close your POI is to your intended POI. You know that though. A game animal is different than a bullseye, in that it is more critical that you dispatch it humanely: 1 shot is the goal. A bullseye target is the same thing, but you may have 10 or 20 shots on target. When you are burning the X-ring out with every shot, you know the consistency is there, and that is extremely important. It applies to hunting, because it tells you that you and your equipment are capable. There's no guessing about it, no doubting it, and we know luck shots for damn sure don't count!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA