Spicy talk, folks.
Geezer here, still hunt sheep , mule deer and our local mountain goat every year.
Steep country, often available cover but requires more patience and planning to make this play.
This is how we were taught, going back a few generations that predated modern rifles and optics.
The skill is in your ability to close the distance, to verify the horns or antlers are legal, sheep hunters have had their rams away because they were 1/4" short on one side, during mandatory inspections...by experienced Sheep hunters.
I can sometimes see the Sheep and Goats on our "Sheep Mountain" with my optics. I also hear the long bombs attempted , y'know rifleshots spaced long enough to make a adjustment sometimes 8-10-12.
Across a valley, or from the truck or quad.
This makes me cringe, my guess is many of those hunters won't put the 2 hours into crossing the valley to check.
More importantly, they could of likely connected with a wounding shot and just might of killed and left a mature 10 year old ram on the mountain.
This ram suffers and dies( watch for the birds) the shooter has taken a nice legal ram out of the picture.
The long shooter heads down the road.
I only wish postional shooting practice was the current rage, and the equipment , the rifles etc was the talk of the mountain.
I love our wildlife species! I sometimes love our livestock as much. Their livestock's destiny is secure, they will be killed. All forms of killing must include little risk of suffering to any animal.
This is not a video Game, folks
My little old opinion

Last edited by comerade; 03/26/24. Reason: Grammar