Originally Posted by DonFischer
Now I have never heard a long range hunter admit to making a bad shot! Never heard one tell of a cripple or a dead animal off 500 yds they left because they couldn't find it either. Ever heard of a long range hunter miss judging the wind? I haven't!

I don’t know if this counts but my brother took this bull at 675 yards. We’d thought about a mil of wind and we guessed wrong, luckily the next shot done quickly put him down with a touch more hold.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

After getting to the bull we may have gotten closer or maybe we might have spooked them out. Don’t know but we practice as much as we can in the rain, wind, etc and agree, things do happen. I do err on the side of caution with big 7’s and larger. I don’t know it helps but it makes us feel better.

I’d much rather shoot them close but on public land in the west if you’re not prepared to shoot a bit longer than what’s normal you may not fill your coolers which is fine, we’ve gone home empty a few times. I’ve also flubbed a couple close shots as well I shouldn’t have.

I like to see and learn from others who do it close and far and in between.

Hope you all are having a great night.

Semper Fi