Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by BC30cal
T Inman;
Good evening my friend, I hope the last week of the 3rd month has been behaving for you and you're well up there.

Since I do watch Jim on Backfire on occasion, I was aware of his challenge.

To be crystal clear, as I believe you know of me T, I don't yet own a laser range finder and while I do have a couple scopes that seem to dial fairly reliably, I really haven't spent the time learning to do it.

However as you said, that doesn't mean nobody can or that I believe no one should.

This young guide from Wyoming puts in a pretty fair showing with a stock Tikka and Hornady ammo.

Again as I said to Jordan, my participation is to encourage hunters who shoot near or far to go take a look once they shoot with whatever it is they're hunting with.

As always, I appreciate your input on subjects T as I know you've put in the time on the mountain - well on the flat lands too likely, but it's a BC saying maybe... wink

Best to you sir.

Dwayne

Yeah I have watched that one also.

Factory rifle shooting factory ammo without a spotter.

If we are talking LR shooting then using video of beginners shooting factory ammo in factory rifles is not indicative of the state of the art.

John;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of Wyoming is getting seasonally appropriate and tolerable weather and that you're well on the last Wednesday of the 3rd month of what's turning out to be a bit of an exciting year.

As I mentioned to T, I know a couple fellows who teach long range shooting to LEO, civilians and maybe some military too, not sure about that last client or not, but for sure they're not using factory rifles, though the ammo often is factory selected I want to say.

Nonetheless I was impressed with the performance capabilities of the Tikka with the Hornady ammo, as you mentioned too without a spotter. That said, he seemed to be doing a decent job of seeing where he hit enough to make corrections and then make connections, so again not nothing.

In talking to the local guides for the past 40 years, I know that it's their job and that young fellow's as well to do what I've been encouraging everyone to do, which is go see if the animal was hit or not after the shot.

In his reply, T Inman mentioned it's often hard to find a particular spot after crossing a creek and/or a canyon and I'd say a hearty "Amen" to that thought for sure. We've found it helpful to carry trail tape and put a couple big strands where we've shot from since sometimes it's been necessary to go back at least once to get the bearings on where the animal was.

For sure too those times it's easier to accomplish with a hunting partner, but knowing exactly where I shot from has assisted me a couple times hunting solo too.

Anyways just a few thoughts from someone who admittedly cannot do what was in the video, but from a teaching perspective find the subject useful.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"