Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by EdM
First SSC check arrived in February. Fishing trip in Alaska booked for this summer and a brown bear hunt a bit later. Panama fishing and Nanimbia next year. A new $30K a year buys some fun.

I didn’t know you were 67… only a fool would draw it at 62.

Never met either one of you gents.

I have been told best time to pull SS depends on the individual, their resources, their family history, etc.

From what I read from EdM, I would guess he has the numbers part down pat.

If he is pulling it at 62, there is some sound financial reasoning going on.

From what I read from 79s, he doesn't make stuff up either.

Waiting is probably the right move for him based on taxes, life expectancy, expected additional work income, etc.

Moral of the story: drawing ss for an individual at a particular age may or may not be a good move, depending on their unique circumstances.

I was planning on working a few more years towards maximizing my SS, as I was/am in fairly decent health.

Then, the detached retina thing with loss of vision would have prevented me from doing the job I liked where I worked. The job with LOTS of OT and not having to work around the bosses and scheidt on shore. They were worried about my depth perception and me possibly going over the side. I might have stayed if they'd allowed me to just work the 12 hr night shifts, but no they wanted me to go to days every few weeks in the rotation.

Penciling it out, without the OT I could make x dollars per year or I could retire, collect from my pension/retirement savings and start on SS at 62.5 or so and make..........x dollars per year.................and not have to work 8 months a year away from my wife and dogs, basically support another small household, drive back and forth from wherever she was working/living at the time, etc etc.

Those that have no regular life besides work, or any feeling of self worth unless they're working , might have taken another course than I did.

I have no issues with retirement and our lifestyle. The SS I do get allowed me to set the withdrawals from the retirement savings at a conservative level so that I'm mostly living off the interest. I will likely change that as I get older as I've never seen an armored car in a funeral yet.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?