I used to work with a couple of guys in the East Kootenays over 40 years ago, who had worked on a hunt Warren Page had made in B.C.'s Flathead Valley, back in the good old days. He wrote a story about this in F&S, entitled, "The Judas Moose", which I had read just before going to work there.

These guys had also wrangled on an O'Connor hunt and had strong opinions on both men, Page was well liked and J'OC was not popular among the crew. Page was always denigrated by O'Connor, who was a very talented prose stylist, but, seems to have been an arrogant guy in person.

I was an O'Connor fan, then, I started working in the bush in many of the regions in Canada he wrote about and I stopped reading him, when he refered to native-born Albertans as ...slobs in pickup trucks... because they DARED to want to hunt the Smokey River country of THEIR province which he seemed to consider a special playground for him and his rich foreign hunter friends.

Page always seemed far less of that type and was evidently pleasant and just a "regular guy" in camp and treated the local Canadian guides, wranglers and other camp staff politely, to his credit. But, the glory days of hunting mags. are long gone and I seldom even look at one now.