Laker I certainly think so! The 30-06 was deemed a 350 yard caliber in a hunting rifle, by those who hunted with it starting from several decades ago. They took into account the trajectory at usually a 250 yard zero. Once the Magnum caliber's hit the public starting back in 1958 there abouts, it allowed a hunter to increase his down range yardage by at least a 100 yards or more.

Also there is a big difference in kinetic energy delivered to the animal at say 200 yards, 30-06 with 180 grn. bullet weight has 2300-lbs. at a Max velocity of around 2770fps. Now the .300 Win mag with same 180 grn. bullet and having a faster velocity of at least 250fps, is going 3,000fps and kinetic energy is around 2700-lbs.

I have handloaded my 300 Win mag with same bullet to a Max of 3140fps, which gives 500-lbs more kinetic energy than the 30-06. However, there is a price to pay for all things gained and that is RECOIL with a capitol "R"! This can ruin a shooters accuracy down range. There are by the way several devices to tame Recoil down so as the shooter can handle the jump in caliber.

Now I have seen with my own eyes, elk shot with a 30-06 passed 400 yards and killed dead as a door nail. I have seen elk shot with a .300 Win mag at close to 600 yards and killed just as dead. However, I view the yardage difference as 100 yards between them period.

I don't shoot 500 or 600 yards for elk or deer! I would shoot at a bull elk with a 30-06 as far out as 350 yards, if things were just right etc. They are both very good calibers but Craig Boddington says, minimum calbier for elk is a 30-06 with 180 grain bullet. I used a 300 Win mag a lot, when I was hunting elk a long time ago. It is really a grand big game caliber, that you can find shells for just about any place out West.

Last edited by Tonk; 04/07/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN