Laker years ago some gun rag stated that the "experts" agreed that a good elk rifle was one in a caliber that could deliver some 1,500 pounds of kinetic energy to the animal, nothing was said about the yardage downrange, just that most elk hunters shot elk at 100 to 300 yards for the most part back in those days.

Now first of all, I am old school and we never had any classes in physics or kinetic energy, for hunters back in my neck of the woods. I never saw an elk tagged out with how much kinetic energy killed the critter ok.

All I know for sure is the bullet must be placed into the vital zone of the animal and must do it's job of mushrooming out to near twice the caliber thereabouts and continue to penetrate the vital organs causing severe damage to said organs. Thus creating heart stoppage from loss or blood or even a blown up heart organ.

Now if both calibers using same bullet and velocities as above and zeroed in at 250 yards: The .300 Win mag shoots about 5 inches less or flatter at 400 yards, verses the 30-06 give or take an inch as my memory serves me ok.

Last edited by Tonk; 04/07/09.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN