I dunno know about any of this smile

The first elk I saw shot was hit with a 30/06 and factory 150 Power Points at about 350 yards;first shot too far back,and the elk trotted off a bit,clearly ill.Second shot was through the ribs behind the foreleg and his knees buckled.Game over.

Elk looked big to me.So when I started elk hunting I built a 300 Win Mag,a 300 Weatherby and 300 H&H;also a pacel of 338's;shot them all a lot and settled on 180 gr bullets at 3100-3200.This killed elk and a bunch of other stuff.At the range(and out to 600 yards), I noticed all the 300's shot flatter than everything else except the 7 Rem Mag.

So I used them all! grin

They all worked;sometimes they killed faster than the 30/06's I saw used and sometimes they did not if the shots were poorly placed. But properly placed hits from the 300's at distances out to 450 yards or so brought elk down like dynamited smokestacks;but elk hit with 7mags and good bullets behaved the same way.Ditto some I saw killed with 270's.

I never saw enough difference between 338's 340's and 300's to make me a "Keithian",and the 338's went south.

Here's what I have noticed and it's worth what you paid for it:

1)Bullet construction and placement get equal footing with me,and trump caliber,because a great bullet from a 30/06 will do what a lousy bullet from a 300 Win Mag will not.

2)Within reason,you should shoot what you shoot well,and have confidence in.

3)Some practiced shooters do better with less recoil,and recoil tolerance varies a great deal between individuals(see #2 above).But I have noticed that many people who are bums with 300's tend to be bums with everything,and they rarely get better with lighter recoiling rifles because they are undisciplined,un-practiced,and cannot hit a bull in the ass with a bag of rice,regardless of caliber.

4)A GOOD rifleman does not need to worry much about what he is shooting,within reason.He will do well with about anything.We all have our cartridge preferences,but the guy behind the rifle is the most important ingredient in the mix.His skill sets will frequently trump rifle and cartridge,scope,etc. He will do good with about anything.

I'm going elk/moose/mule deer hunting this fall in BC.Have not yet decided but the choice is down to a 270 Winchester,a 7mmDakota,or a 30/06.All will be loaded with Swift Aframes or Bitterroots. I am not the least bit concerned about which one I take.

Blaine: I think you'll find the 338 is excess baggage.JMHO grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/19/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.