Originally Posted by Blaine
......like say a 270's ability to stop a cape buffalo or a 30-06's ability to stop an elephant vs that of a 416 or 458.

I have only been able to hunt Africa once a number of years ago and today my PH would be 76 years old. He grew up in Southern Rhodesia, worked for National Parks in his younger years before becoming a PH and in his life time had killed over 1500 elephants. He told me that one day he shot 23 elephants in 5 minutes half with a .458 and half with a 30-06 using a 220 grain solid. He said that if hit properly that there was no difference in killing power between the calibers.

If he felt that a would be elephant hunter was not able to shot his/her elephant gun to his satisfaction then he would replace it with his 30-06. His rational was that if the hunter using the 30-06 and was able to place the shot exactly where he had instructed then the hunter would have a kill. Verus, the hunter using a gun that they were afraid of and wounding the animal where as then he would have to kill it. This is what I was told. I love my 06.