Britt: Oh I never said the 280 was not good;clearly that would be a bit intellectually "dishonest" grinSince I like and have used cartridges on either side of it,I have a pretty fair idea of its' capabilities.

I'm taking issue with the narrow issue that it is as fast as the magnum-jugged 7mm's; that's all.

And when making a choice between it and say a 7 RM and a Weatherby,I'll just take the bigger case,get the fractional increase in vel,and not worry about whether or not I'm leaning on things to get there.

There seems to be persistent myth that runs through the noodles of rifle loonies, here and elsewhere; that a smaller case can "equal",all things being the same , the potential velocity of a larger case.This is simply untrue.Many times the smaller case can come close, or pressures can be run up in the smaller case so that it "looks" as good...but IME across the board,it can't be done.

IME the 7RM put up in a good rifle,and given the TLC heaped on most 280AI customs, will be just as accurate. I generally find the 7RM a comfortable rifle to shoot,which is one reason I've been a 7mm fan for many years. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.