FB,

Your post has some merit but the thing that sets folks off - me included - is the fact that ~ every other month someone posts their 280 AI data and it magically is faster than the 7mm RM. The latest Nosler does no justice to the issue either. They list 280 AI data that really pushes the 7mm RM. Compare the 280 AI data with the 7 SAUM - they are ballisitic twins except, I'd likely give the SAUM a grain or so advantage, plus the 280 AI data was shot from a 26" barrel.

I love the 280 - been shooting one since 1981-82. It is a wonderful cartridge. But it is still has 10-15 grains less case capacity than the 7mm RM. To imply that the 280 in any variation somehow approaches the 7mm RM is a bit far fetched. I'd also suggest looking at the 7mm RM data - most of it is 58-59,000 PSI - still well short of the 61K SAAMI pressure.

For normal everyday lifting I love the 280, but I admit to being a full fledge 7mm Rm looney as well. Interestingly, I bought both a 280 and 7mm RM in tang saftey Ruger's within 1 year of each other in the early 1980's. Still have both of them, although the 280 needs a new barrel but is semi-retired.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.