Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

As a practical matter most people are better off with the 7mm Rem Mag,rifles,brass,and ammo are generally avaiable anywhere that sells any of the above.

Ill disagree.If you prep your rifle for a important hunt.And lets say you loose your ammo.The ability to buy factory ammo isn't going to do you much good.You know what your handloads are doing.You wont know what storebought ammo will shoot like or what the drops will be.You loose your ammo.
Your screwed.

The ability to buy factory ammo, for most people, means they can buy the same kind of ammo they lost or left at home. For handloaders it means they can at least buy ammo, take it to a range for a re-zero, and still go hunting. In most cases the result will be the same � meat will be made or not depending on factors unrelated to the particular rifle or ammo type used.

The 280AI is Parker Ackleys second best round.The fact you can get factory ammo for it now makes it a no brainer.
dave

It�s a �no brainer� decision for me, to be sure. 7mm RM all day long.

You can argue the .280 Rem AI is more efficient or has better accuracy potential or is easier to tune, but I�m not buying any. In the end it comes down to cases.

Here�s 10 shots from my 7mm RM, shot in a 40mph crosswind:

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the target where the 7mm RM put 3 of the 160g north Forks into a single cloverleaf measuring less than a caliber between centers.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.