Dave:I would say those are very good velocities and accuracy from both,and at least with the 7RM,within my "comfort zone". Both are very good things,and both will work real well on any task suited to them.

Your 280AI velocities are about 50-70 fps faster, on average, than what I have gotten from the 280's I've shot with RL22 and 140 gr bullets.

We pay our money and we take our picks.

I have been there pushing the 7RM to 3300 with the 140,and am honestly happy at the velocities you're getting with the 140's at present.

By analogy,the 7 Dakota I am working with does 3375 with the 140 AB and I am certainly no better off than you,and the BIG difference between,say, the Dakota and 7RM is that the Dakota "easily" does what the 7RM does at max,and more;just as the 7RM does what the 280AI does at max,and more.The "constant" is the greater powder capacity of the larger case,which is my only real point.....a smaller case can only get the same velocity as a bigger case if the smaller case is loaded to higher pressure,all other things being as equal as they can.There is no getting around this that I know of.

Glad you son is doing well with the 223....I love shooting mine! wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.