Scope Rings for the Baikal/EEA/USSG/Remington SPR22/MP221

As you can see from the heading, this double rifle has been imported and sold by several different entities, although it appears EEA of Rockledge, FL is in back of all of them. Presently, USSG, Inc. seems to be offering them, and the Internet auction and sales sites offer them continuously. They are currently available in 30-06, and 45-70. Too bad the 9.3X74R version is not now imported, although Baikal sells them in various other countries. With it now being loaded in the US, it would be a wonderful, utilitarian double of intersting potential. The great virtue of the MP221 Artemida/SPR 22 is its entry level cost of under $1000 for the 45-70 and under $800 for the '06.

Another excellent cartridge which is offered by Baikal in this rifle, but not in the States, is the Russian battle cartridge, the 7.62X54R. It is about the same power level as the '06, rimmed, which is good for doubles, and best of all, the ammo is readily available at a very low price, in quantities. You might have noticed that the cheap '06 miltary ammo has essentially disappeared, unlikely to return. The 7.62X54R is well behind that cycle and likely to be with us for a long time into the future, based on the flood of rifles being imported for that cartridge.

Now, as to the scope rings. I have a double Remington/Baikal rifle in each caliber. Both are scoped. The 11 mm rail the rifle has is an airgun rail. Scoffing at that? Don't. Airguns are known for viscious, scope-busting recoil that loosens rings, as the airgun recoils forward and backward with each shot. Of the two different rings I have, the one made by Beeman for their high grade air rifles is extraordinally rugged. It is heavily made, with lots of screws to hold it, AND it has a stud that fits down into a slot in the rail itself, effectively keeping it from creeping. I'd be shocked if this thing doesn't hold well.

I see a lot of chatter on Internet sites the rifle might take a .22 caliber set of rings. That is mistaken. The .22 rail is 9 mm and has an arched top. I originally tried a set of .22 cal Leupolds on my '06, and it gripped poorly, but worse, was noticably cocked off to the side. The .22 cal rail is round-topped, but the 11 mm rail is flat-topped. I personally would judge .22 cal rings as unsuitable on this rifle from their appearance. Further, they lack the fast-holding, protruding stud at the base.

BTW, I notice a lot of chatter about the operating pressure level suitable for the 45-70 version. Because the owner's manual has the SAAMI compliant warning on it, many are equating the strength level of the action with the "Trapdoor Springfield". Obviously, a pretty silly thought that a modern arm made more than 100 years after the Trapdoor and chambered in the '06 would have equal action strength with the Trapdoor. Rebarrel a Trapdoor to 30-06 and see how that works for you. By far the best exploration of the subject on the loads suitable and safe for the 45-70 version is on www.kifaruforums.com. I'm always interested in feedback from you, but please do not send me messages on this point unless you have read the mentioned materials so you can see I have been exposed to "bolt thrust" and all the other considerations of double barrel rifle action strength. AND, remember, the SAAMI warning is present for the Marlin and Ruger rifles as well, although both are commonly used with above SAAMI loads, and I'm not hearing reports of rifle or human carnage from this activity.

These Baikal/Remington double rifles have been a pleasant surprise, with a lot of value for the price. Short-comings exist, but one can get into FUN double rifles for LOW MONEY. That's been my experience.
martyBoy