Abner:

I posted my experience with mine earlier when this posting stated and just wanted to pass along an update.

Had the triggers and cocking mechanism worked on by a gunsmith. He was able to get the trigger pulls very smooth and about 3.5 lbs. He couldn't do much about the take-up or over travel because he said there was no normal adjustments to them. He modified the cocking so that once you open the action it will actually stay fully open and not have to be held open. Once you drop the cartridges in and give a little "lift" to the barrels it will close to the "half closed" position. Why does it have this "half closed" position? So, you can carry it "open" and the cartridges won't fall out - just add an extra level of "safety" on top of the tang safety.

After lots of trial and tribulation, I finally settled on just Rem 405's at 1600fps and regulated it for that load. Out of the box, at 50yds, it shot two groups 6" apart and right barrel 6" higher than the left. Via a combination of a bench vice, a large wrench, some shims made out of a feeler gauge and the jack-screw between the barrel I was finally able to get it to shoot both barrels into a 2" circle at 100 yds. with a old Weaver k2.5 scope.

Took it to Namibia a couple of months ago for plains game. I was the back-up shooter and my wife was the primary. Ended up using the little double to take a number of head of cull Gemsbok out to 125yds. All one shot each.

I have to say that I am still grinning about hunting with a "double rifle" in Africa. I will be taking it with me again next year.

Would I use it on DG? Leopard, yes, but anything else, if I had a choice..no. But then I wouldn't use a 458 WM with 405gr softs at 1600 fps or a 577NE with 500gr softs at 1600fps either. But I will and have used my custom bolt actions in 45-70 and 450M with hand-loads of 350gr TSX's and 330gr Barnes Banded Solids at 2400 fps and next year I will be using my Win 70 in 450M with 325gr CEB#13 solids at 2400fps on PAC ele.

The little Rem/Bikal double is what it is. Don't buy it thinking you'll re-chamber it to something bigger - the chambers are too thin and too short. It is more than adequate for what it is intended for and at that price point it is a huge bargain. The money you save on it over the high-end doubles will pay for an African PG trip or two.