Hello,
I am new to this forum, and just thought I would offer some of my views on this double rifle.
While not being hand crafted creation I believe it holds true to the original concept of the double rifle. It's tough, light enough to be carried all-day, quick to align on target, and has a clean form, meaning that it does not snag up as much as some guns do, when being dragged through dense undergrowth etc. Given the ranges that double rifles are meant to be used at, it's accurate to. It has two triggers, so delivers a fast" double tap" if needed, and if the first barrel rewards you with that ominous "click ! ", the second is instantly ready to use, barring a serious malfunction in the lock mechanism. So in its heart, it's a true double rifle. I own two of these, both in 45-70 and I have had them now for a couple of years .I have taken numerous wild boar in both France and Germany with them, and the 45-70 round, if placed correctly, can be described as having" authority" at the receiving end. Yes, there are [bleep] little things, the trigger pull is notoriously bad, the actions can be tight, but you will be amazed how a good dunking in a super penetrating oil can improve things. I find the plastic centre rib annoying, but only because it's plastic. The "aiming arrangements" are not to my taste, so I just filed mine to a V cut so mimicking the express sights I am more used to. I will eventually get around to replacing the "AK" front sight, but it works, it just seems to catch horribly in most guns slips. But for the price and a little bit of work,, a wonderful price for a double rifle. I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but a piece of advice I picked up for those that are, apparently drilling through the holes in the side of the recoil pad, gives you something that mimics the Limb Saver pad.
I believe the regulating screw between the barrels to be a wonderful and an innovative idea. This frees a double rifle user to a wider range of bullet weight/velocity types, more than the conventional regulated double, with a little bit of work on the range, but that's not a bad thing.
With the loads I use, both of these rifles deliver 1.5/ 2 inch groups at 50 yards from both barrels (one grouping) free standing, if I, with my years and eyesight do my bit, and still passingly accurate at 75 yards for game shooting That's good enough for me .I only use these guns for European hunting, and most of it is in thick scrub or woodland where even 50 yards can be a long shot.
A lot of Internet chatter covers how they don�t quite match individuals taste and requirements. To be quite honest, most of us find, that an out-of-the-box anything, has annoying little problems that do not suit our own personal tastes, that's because they're made for many people with different tastes and manufactured for a set price. These rifles for me have performed well in the conditions I ask them to working in
I have owned and used many English double rifles, and hunted with them in the countries they were designed for. I have also helped friends and hunters find loads to match the regulating of their rifle.so I am not new to the double rifle game. And I will agree that this rifle does not stack up in workmanship or quality against a vastly more expensive custom-made double. But as I said earlier, I believe it holds true to the �spirit� of the double rifle. It is a tough, small, no-nonsense, hard-hitting, game taker.
If you have to be a double rifle snob, let's be honest then, it has to be English, and it has to have side locks and double triggers, anything else is a poor imitation. Let's not go down that route please.
I have found these rifles to be fun, accurate enough for the job they were intended for, easy to carry and maintain. They also have a pleasing look, which in the field does not cause some of the concern to the general public that some shapes of rifle do. I have to say that some people have been quite impressed with the way my "little. 410 shot gun" speaks!
My apologies for such a long winded first post.