I've watched TV shows with people shooting big game in Africa with a 45-70 guide gun and buff bore loads. I think they shot Hippo, Buff and what not. Also I believe the Buffalo Bore ammo is a heat treated cast bullet traveling at what they determined to be an "optimal velocity" not just slung at the highest velocity they could squeeze out of the old girl. Not too slow, not too fast but just right. So, maybe they could be safe in the Spartan SXS. It's no mystery that a quality cast bullet with big shoulders put in the right spot can be quite an impressive and devastating load. With the way the 45-70 is loaded today I have no doubts in the hand of a experienced AFRICAN hunter it will get the job done. Is that me? I have no desire to go to Africa and hunt an animal the size of a house with anything. I don't even want to think of all the shots you need to get before you even get on the plane. Did that once in the military in preparation for desert warfare. Couldn't sit right for days. I'll stay right here in the good ol' US of A . If I want to hunt something big with my 45-70 I'll get a bear permit, they can get pretty big or go on a bison hunt. Enough gun? I believe W.D.M. Bell shot a few elephants with a 7X57 (275 Rigby) back in the day.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.