Moderately buffed the furniture with the abrasive side of a dishwashing sponge that was under the sink... One coat of oil base dark walnut stain and wiped dry after 30 minutes. Next day three wet coats of raw Linseed oil rubbed in by hand. Next day one wet coat of drying linseed oil rubbed in by hand. It ain't presentation grade turkish walnut, but it ain't bad and the critters won't care...

The gun was bone dry of lubricant as it came out of the box. After a LIBERAL application of Break free and grease on the hing friction points the action will fall open, but no "looseness" exists. I think the hammer springs came off of the front end of a volkswagon or a 20mm anti aircraft gun. Cocking them requires some downward pressure for the last few gegrees of opening the action. The downward pressure required to open the action all the way is nothing new for an old double barrel SXS shotgun operator. I have a savage .410 SXS and used to have a 12 gauge SXS, they are the same way. You HAVE to cock the hammer springs somehow...

Function is flawless. After liberal and dripping lube job to the fire control group, the triggers are MUCH better. Still creepy but plenty manageable for what it is intended for. With the 350 Barnes TSX's at 1800fps it kicks about like a 20 gauge 870 with 2 3/4 slugs.

I found a hidden document on USSG's website through a Goggle search and it explains regulating these rifles. The first page of the PDF document is apparentyl written by some expert from the U.S. It explains the commonnly heard theory/method where one sights in the left barrel and then regulates the right barrel to the point of impact of the left barrel. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

I completely stripped it except for the fire control group and it became immediately obvious to me that the commonly advertised barrel regulation procedure was incorrect. The barrel regulation screw resides on the centerline between both barrels at a totally unsupported point. The screw pushes laterally and equally opposite on both barrels at the same time. The screw does nothing more than regulate both barrels laterally and equally at the same time. Simply put, when you move one barrel laterally, "in or out", the other barrel moves in or out as well. At least in theory and by design. The barrel screw ONLY determines the width of the spread of point of impact at a given distance on these rifles. Nothing more or nothing less. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction...

Haven't had a chance to do much shooting with it yet. Waiting for a weekend when I have plenty of time. I'm attaching cell phone pics of the gun in final form. I'm also attaching a link to the USSG/Russian document. Page one of the document is someones rendition/translation of how to regulate. Page two is a mechanical blueprint of the rifle and apparently a direct translation of the Russin instructions for regulating the barrels. The instructions from one page to another are vastly different. It's no wonder everyone has been having hell tryin to regulate the barrels as page one describes.

See pics at below link.

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g57/hound329/2012%20Baikal%20SXS%2045-70/

See USSG original document at below link.

http://www.eaacorp.com/Manuals/MP221_Barrel_Regulation.pdf

Mick

Mick