I typically hunt north of Ladysmith on private land - and we have had a really lousy season up there so far. By this time, we normally have about seven or eight dear hanging by now. So far, only one doe (mine, taken on Saturday dusk) and two fawns. We've been hearing wolves at night though - thank you so very much, DNR.

Today however was very different ... I came home yesterday (live in Wausau) and decided to go out this morning to some land I own north of town. I wasn't in a big rush, so got to the stand really late (about 830am), figuring that I would just watch the squirrels play. I decided to futz around with a doe bleat call for giggles, and about 10 minutes later, a very nice 7 point buck came along looking for love. One shot through an opening in the saplings with my CZ550FS in 308 (I love that rifle) and I ended up with the biggest buck I have shot ~ 17" spread ... smile That is very much the exception this year!!!

Since I left the 4-wheeler in Ladysmith, I was in for the uphill drag that would not end ... next time I need to shoot them closer to the truck ... laugh