Gus
I've had Big Green eggs for several years now and no issues with gaskets. I sear steaks at 800F and I've run them up to over 1100F. Gaskets are readily available and I understand they are easy to change.

There are other brands out there but I can't speak to their quality or lack of. Do a search on warranty service, I hear a lot of displeasure with the warranty service on a few of the knock-offs. We do competition cook-offs and quite a few years ago I started noticing a lot of eggs showing up at events and I liked what I saw. I shopped around before I bought mine but ended up with the original Big Green Egg and have no regrets. Sure I could have saved a few bucks but the support you get from BGE and the new family (or cult :-) that you become a part of gives you instant access to 1000's of people who have "been there done that" and all are willing to share their knowledge and experience. Also accessories are endless for the BGE and if you live near an eggfest you can sign up prior to the event and get a new (cooked on once) egg with a bag of lump and an ash tool at a huge savings.

I once visited a place where BBQ was a verb, Canadian whiskey was the norm and no sweet tea on the menu. Hell on earth for a Southern boy!!