I too was sorry to hear of Bob Mileks passing, as well as a host of others I had read and followed since the very late 50's/early 60's.

Milek was indeed a realistic and sincere hunter and was a wealth of information, definitely NOT one of the writers who did more hunting over a typewriter keyboard than in the field to sort of quote another well know gunwriter now passed on also. I am thinking of Mr Howells 'short list' and chuckling to myself.

Milek was definitely one to go out of his way to show his disdain for the .300 Winchester Magnum, as much or more so than O'Connor would praise the 270 Win. It, at times, really took away from both of their excellent writings, and frankly, both cartridges, and both writers are excellent in my opinion.

This is a good thread, it brought back a lot of names of writers I read with envy as a young boy growing into adulthood.

I am surprised that I have not seen John Jobson or Larry Koller mentioned, and I read the whole thread. I guess I liked those 2 because they did some of their hunting in New York state, namely Ulster/Sullivan Counties(Larry Koller), and I distinctly remember an article by Jobson in Sports Afield many years ago about spending time in New York state deer hunting with his new bride. I hunted that area as a kid and it was nice to read of gunwriters hunting the same areas as I did I guess.

Last edited by Wink_man; 05/08/10.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people