Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's one that I haven't written about, one that hasn't been written anywhere, as far as I know.

On his work bench, Missoula rifle-maker Iver Henriksen had a nice ash tray made from a hoof from one of our friend Elmer Keith's bull buffalo. I don't recall ever seeing any ashes or stubs in it, but more than once, Iver told me about the day when that hoof began its trip to the taxidermist.

Time was when any citizen with the fee and the way to haul the meat away (alive or butchered) could buy a buffalo from the thinning operation at the National Bison Range up at Moiese. Iver, among other things, was a skilled butcher. He and Elmer had a deal � Elmer bought buffalo and killed 'em; Iver dressed and butchered 'em; and they split the meat.

They hauled the bull in this yarn out to the range at the old cavalry post, Fort Missoula, and turned it loose. Elmer shot it � once, of course � and down it went. Iver went to it, knives ready, but Elmer hung back.

"He ain't dead yet," Elmer warned. "His eyes ain't dull."

"Oh, yeah, he's dead!" Iver said. He sat astraddle the bull's hindquarters, grabbed its tail, and wrenched or kinked it.

Elmer was right.

The bull came up, sending Iver somersaulting, spun around, and charged Iver.

Elmer dropped the bull � bang, flop, skid � with another shot. I've forgotten which rifle he used, but I'm sure that he's mentioned it in one or more of his books.

It's easy to imagine Iver's continuous satisfaction in seeing that hoof on his bench, inches beyond the vise where he worked for so many years. It's easy to remember the satisfaction so clear in his voice each time he told me about the incident.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.