I really liked Bob's articles, partly because they were written by a guy who hunted in the same part of the world as me, who learned about hunting in the field and not by reading articles.

I especially remember one article about the .25-06, where he took one elk hunting because it was the only one of his big game rifles that happened to be sighted-in when he decided to go hunting. This is familiar to me, as gun writers end up testing so many scopes that often it's hard to find a rifle that's sighted-in with the right load. (The .25-06 in the story worked, of course, taking some sort of elk--as I remember a cow or young bull--with a broadside lung shot, I believe with a 120-grain Speer Hot Core.)

But I must also confess that the one thing that bothered me aout Bob's writing was his dialogue. Sometimes he'd even start a story with something like this, "Gosh, Bill!" I exclaimed. "That 120-grain pill, started at 3100 fps with 56 grains of 6344, sure put that buck on the ground with some authority!"

People don't talk like that, but then again there wasn't a lot of talking in Milek articles anyway.

I met Bob a couple times in various places and he was indeed a nice guy. But I have gotten to know Bob Jr. much better over the years, and have done some shooting with him, both at targets and hair. He's also a really nice guy, and a darn good shot, too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck