Mark,

First off good point Steelhead. I did exactly that with my elk rig. When I was going into heavily wooded north facing slopes I'd twist the turret for a zero at 100. Back out to more open terrain back to my original setting for shots out to 300 yds. That is how I caught the M1 had moved. (see Bob's post on "I ran turrets")

Last year my heavy 7 rem mag was used by one friend on the opener for coues. We all sit and glass the opposite side of a canyon. Shots are 300-600 yds. Don got his "eater" at 480. Bi-pod, rear bean bag made by Jamison, target turrets on a 8.5-25 x 50 LR. Shot was 480 yds.

Later that same week Walt and I had been trying for a certain buck for him. The darn buck was never within Walt's comfort distance with his rifle. I suggested he use my 257 Roy with a turret. Walt's original rifle and this Roy are old tang safety M77 Rugers. The buck didn't show that day and Walt decided he really wanted to have some venison when that smaller buck showed at exactly 400 yds. I was right next to Walt and told him the MOA comeup. The buck did a Best of the West DRT. That 115 VLD stoned him, he never even twitched after he fell.

That is it so far Mark. I did elk hunt with one rifle last year that had a turret but the kill was around 80 yds and didn't require any adjusting.