after lots of range time with a ragged hole shooting recipe in my 338 rum, i ordered a custom turret from kenton industries.
10 minutes into colorado's elk season, we lasered 5 elk at 700 yards.
i picked out a big cow, dialed the numbered 7 on my leupold, held behind the shoulder and gently touch the trigger in the windless early morning hour.

the 3 guys who i hunt with had been watching the elk, and were shocked at the energy a 250 grain sierra gameking had on her.
staggered her back, and wobbled forward, taking a few steps, and started to roll down the hill.

2 years before i shot another cow on the same mountain side, but a different spot at 762 yards with a 300 rum and 150 tsx's.
i can tell you first hand a 150 will pass thru an elk at that distance and cause major damage to it's insides.
i can't remember what the clicks were, but somewhere around 60 comes to mind.
3600 plus fps out of the muzzle makes for .7 of a second to cover 762 yards.

now windy days are a different story. the elevation may be correct, but doping the wind is another story.
when in doubt aleays give a lil into the wind. an elk has a large kill area. a hit in the rear of the lungs is just as good as one in the front of the lungs if the estimate is not as much.
also a liver hit is a good one as well as hitting a shoulder.
figger on a typical elk there is about a 2 foot killing shot target area.

i just got back from running my 300 rum out to 800 yards this after noon.
trying 165 grain nosler solid bases at 3550 fps.
exbal is right on the money with the click value.

Last edited by splattermatic; 06/10/10.