Originally Posted by KMG
Ok JorgeI,
I'll back my facts up against your friends friend that has a friend that once hunted in Africa.
First of all , you cannot become a PH without writing the Exams to qualify. So, I have passed mine. Years ago , as a matter of fact.
Secondly , I never said exclusively shoot buff with solids. They have their place, but not often.
FACT: Elephant-(that YOU want to shoot with a soft) Side on or Front on brain shot. OK you have I dont know how many inches of solid bone to shoot through to get to the brain. I guess I understand why YOU would want to use a soft.
FACT: Hippo: 95% of the time , it will be in the water. Only thing sticking out above the water. You guessed. Front on head shot. Once again, heavy bone.
FACT: Rhino- Anchient Tank that found itself some legs. Has about a 10 inch diameter shoulder bone you need to break. (Shoot it with a soft-hahahaha....idiotic!)
Buffalo- Front on head shot or through the chest. You have about a Square inch target on both, where you need to force that bullet right through there. Chest is protected with bone that looks like two bowling balls on either side. Brain is protected by huge bosses. If you're a little off target, with a soft, you're in the doodie. (You can say hi to the guy on life support)
Fact- Lion- Soft will be fine.

So please, Jorge, dont insult my intelligence. YOU, my friend , are a civillian. I am an outfitter. If I loose a client because his soft was half an inch off and could not break the heavy bone on its way to the target. Thats the end of me. So before you post another of your theories get your facts right and look at where I am coming from.

Craig Boddington has over one hundred safaris to his credit and Saeed has taken over 100 buffalo. Now as to what I said regarding softs & solids:
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Ray; if you read what I and others posted we agree softs should not be used or hippo, elephant on rhino. "old timers" used solids only because they had no confidence in soft points up until a few years ago. Using solids only on buffalo I find totally silly, and especially what that "PH" said above that softs will not penetrate a buff's thick skin. That is absurd. Also our friend Saeed agrees with not using solids as well on buffalo and he's shot plenty of buffalo with this TSX-like Walterhog bullet. The practice of a solid up the ass can be easily done with a TSX as Saeed has done on many ocassion. Nobody said they were antiquated, solids have a place when hunting elephant, rhino or hippo on dry land and those "old guys" used solids because that was the only thing BACK THEN that could be counted on to penetrate.

More:

Originally Posted by jorgeI

First, you don't need solids for buffalo any more unless you are shooting Sierras or some other tinfoil bullet. With todays's premiums, you only need solids for elephant, rhino or body shots on Hippos on land. Personally I've shot buff with A Frames (375 and 416 Rigby) and they were magnificent. Today and if your rifle shoots them, there is no better bullet in terms of penetration and performance than the TSX and for your 375 I'd go with the 270gr pushed as fast as I could get it. jorge

And what *YOU* said:
Originally Posted by KMG

Maddog,if I may offer you some advise.Never shoot a buff with a soft. Their hide are simply too thick, which causes the bullet to mushroom before reaching the vitals. I have heard of clients ignoring the PH's instructions after being told to load solids, and then ended up dealing with the consequences...and they were not good. All dangerous game ....solids.
Hope that helps. If you need any questions , please feel free to ask.

Your words and mine for comparison. Since dangerous game also includes lion and leopard and by your own words "All dangerous game...solids".

And if you bother to READ what I said and corrected, solids are the correct tool for elephant, rhino and hippo on dry land. On the water hippos, like crocs only have one small spot to shoot (and BTW NOT heavy bone THERE) and any soft (or soild) will work just fine. Finally, I am well aware of what it takes to become a PH in RSA and what it takes to become one in Zimbabwe and Tanzania. Not insulting your intelligence Ace, but what *YOU* wrote regarding solids and dangerous game is nonsense. One more thing, the two buffs I've shot at, both with Swift A Frames (416 and 375), BOTH hit the shoulder broke bones and penetrated the heart and lungs, CLEAN THROUGH. And you maybe need to refresh your buffalo anatomy, a 1" square target for a chest shot? And you call me idiotic?...jorge

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/02/10.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”