Red Leg I think if you really research it, the conventional wisdom for buffalo is even more to strictly softs. When I hunted with John Sharp, I spent lots of time on the range with my 416 working up loads just as you say, a soft followed by solids. When it came to crunch time, my first shot (400gr A-Frame) broke the shoulder and later revealed it also shot clean through the heart and was on the off side) anyhow the buffalo took off on three legs and went into some mushes. I immediately topped off the mag and when John saw I was putting in a solid, he said to stick with softs. Every year when I go to the DSC convention I am fortunate enough to get invited to a few affairs that involve PHs and naturally these and other subjects come up and I can tell you without reservation quite a few recommend strictly softs for clients anyway and for them aince they dont't know what's around the next corner, and those that carry doubles, have one barrel loaded with each. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”