Originally Posted by KMG
Originally Posted by BossLady
Many PHs (as covered in African Hunter magazine) suggest clients come with TSXs or Barnes solids.

Those TSX are great. I only recently changed exclusively to them, due to difficulties in obtaining them in South Africa. But found a supplier.
I shoot the 130gr in the .308 Win at about 3200 fps.(Same rifle my clients use if they choose not to bring their own.)
and the .375 I use the 235gr also at about 3000fps. Their penetration is unmatched.
Man I get goosebumps just thinking about them....

So you are not putting the TSX and their ilk in the softpoint category? If not, then the whole argument is off base. I lump any expanding bullet into the softpoint category. Some are decidedly tougher than others. I suspect that most handloaders in the US will also make that distinction. I have personally taken buffalo with Woodleigh solids, Woodleigh Softpoints. Hawk Softpoints, Barnes monolithic solids, Barnes TSX, and RWS H-Mantles. Reaction to the aforementioned softpoints on buff I have shot, and those shot in my hunting parties lead me to the conclusion that they were more effective than solids. Now, if I need to follow up a wounded buff, then I want all solids. If I were a PH backing up my client, then I would want solids. However, based on my observations, and those of several PH's who specialize in DG in multiple countries, I want the first shot with a premium expanding bullet.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo