Originally Posted by jorgeI
As a long time collector and user of both pre and post 64s, One has to delve even deeper into differences not mentioned. For example, there are the Pre-wars (my favorites), Transitions, etc. the first couple of years of the post era, they were pretty bad, reminded me of 700s only with a better safety and trigger. Then came the Classics, circa 1992 and those are pretty fine rifles(my most accurate). Shortly after they went under, quality control was less than optimum. The new or "South Carolina" 70s I have no experience with them so I can't say although I don't care for the new trigger.

Bottom line is from a shootability perspective, the Classic (post 92) era are fantastic rifles. The Pre-64s were to a point, almost hand finished and I prefer them, but from a hunting perspective I see no difference. jorge

Oh, I'm fully aware of the evolution. Was just comparing Pre-64 to the contemporary rifle. Your take on the trigger is interesting. IIRC, JB declared the new trigger to be an improvement. I haven't played with the new ones yet to compare.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.