I feel compelled to comment on the gas-handling question:

I have had cases go in several rifles over the years, though not very many since I quit being a hot-rod handloader many years ago.

But cases have blown a very few times since, and always for mysterious reasons that couldn't be exactly determined. Once was in an H-ring FN Mauser and once was in a M70 Classic.

The H-ring Mauser did a fine job of gas handling; I barely felt any gas at all, and that just on the left side of my face. So yes, there is more to a 98's gas handling than the H- or C-ring.

Even with the gas block on the Classic, the M70 allowed a lot more gas to hit my face, along with a few bits of brass. I was wearing protective glasses--and always do--so there was no damage. But the experience didn't thrill me.

The pre-'64 has NOTHING to prevent gas and brass from coming down the left raceway into the shooter's face, but I have never had a case blow in a pre-'64, and still own and shoot a couple. But I do make sure that the brass or ammo is in very good shape. In fact I rarely shoot brass more than twice in either rifle.

Somebody also commented on the poor "gas-handling" of the Remington 700. I've had maybe 3 cases go in 700's over the years, and not once did any gas touch any part of me.

A couple of comments on triggers as well:

I've owned maybe 10-12 pre-'64's and can't remember one where the trigger was adjustable below 4 pounds. I did take some of those triggers apart and replace the spring.

Since other people have had pre-'64's with triggers that easily adjusted to below 4 pounds, obviously that experience isn't universal. However, unless they bought those rifles new (not very common), those triggers may have been modified already.

I do find it a lot easier to turn a screw on the South Carolina 70 than to take apart a pre-'64 trigger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck