Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by JimD
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by djpaintless
On average you might argue that the new trigger has better feel or whatever but it misses the point of the greatest virtues of the old model trigger - simplicity and reliability, and it can be easily tuned to a fine pull.

Bullschit.

The new SC m70 trigger is no more complicated than ANY other fully adjustable,enclose sporting bolt trigger design.

It IS more complicated than the original M70 trigger though.

Jim

Yes it is. And one caveat to my statement about the limited adaptability of the old m70 design is that the guns made pre 64 did have triggers that can be adjusted lighter than most post 64 units.The reason is not just the trigger return springs but also the tighter tolerance to which the pre 64 triggers were fitted.

I've done trigger jobs on at least a dozen post 64 m70s made from the mid 1970s to the early 2000s. Using the factory trigger return spring(and checking with an accurate trigger pull gauge), I was never able to get SAFE sub 3.5lb on any of them

Which is the reason I haven't been able to understand why Winchester ever went away from the original design and workmanship regarding the trigger. One would think that in the day of CNC machining and equipment that has the ability to mass produce parts with fine tolerances that used to take back in the day, infinitely more time to produce, that the original trigger would have made its debut return and satisfied the 70 aficionado's instead of a "New Enclosed Trigger" that has more parts. It seems to me a Rube Goldberg approach to "modern technology"
JMO

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member