Originally Posted by Mule Deer
dj,

All I said about the new M70 trigger was that it was easier to adjust to a clean, light pull than the old trigger. I didn't say it was a superior mechanism.

This, of course, is what often happens on the Internet. Somebody "summarizes" what's been stated by somebody else, and leaves out many details. Yet many people believe they can learn more from a 50-word post by a stranger on the Internet than they can from a 2000-word article in a gun magazine by a person who isn't shy about their identity.

I have owned a bunch of pre-'64's, and it's rare to find a trigger on one that can be adjusted to less than 4 pounds, and 4-1/2 pounds is average. The pull is crisp, but unless the trigger is torn down and worked over (best done by a gunsmith) then the pull ain't gonna be any lighter in the majority of pre-'64 triggers.

The post-'64's can often be adjusted lighter, but the engagement surfaces aren't nearly as sharp, so the pull ends up somewhat mushy--unless, of course, the trigger is torn apart and stoned.

The new trigger can easily be adjusted down to 3 to 3-1/2 pounds, and is much crisper than the pull on any post-'64 trigger that I've ever encountered.

Well said and accurate, It takes a competent smith that knows pre 64 triggers to get them down to ideal pull weights, But, once accomplished, IMO their isn't any other trigger design that is better, simpler, or more reliable
My pre's all sport 3 to 3 1/2 lb pulls and break like a winter icicle

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member