Originally Posted by Swampman700
It wasn't just me. Winchesters have never been known for their accuracy. They are good hunting rifles.....period.

Swampy not to engage in any arguments of course,but I would disagree.Pre 64's, on average, have out shot about any other production rifle I have owned,and that includes a pile of Remingtons as well.The barrels were broached(cut),stress free and very accurate. Some rifles have needed some fiddling but mostly not very much.

I have had everything from 375H&H clear down to the Swift produce stupid groups for me;easily on a par with anything I have owned today.

This has long been the reason I don't build custom 270's or 30/06's anymore....it makes no sense to spend the money, because I "know" (having done it so many times) that if you take a pre 64 FW or Standard in those calibers,have the metal bedded in a good synthetic stock, it will shoot sub MOA easily,every single time.Sorry to say but frequently it will do significantly better,and you could spend thousands and not get a better rifle of like kind.

I belong to a club full of highpower match shooters.....after seeing my old 300H&H perform at 600 yards the club VP would not leave me alone and kept trying to buy it....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.