I did NOT bash anyone and I have 40+ years of experience with custom rifles to base my opinions on. The first Smith barrel I ever shot was in 1990 and it was crap, some of the subsequent ones were excellent. Sorry, pal, but your comments strike me as being an attempt to enter a discussion by denigrating the opinion of someone else, rather than by gaining experience for yourself.

If, you are a gunsmith, as you imply, then why not tell us who you are and let your work speak for you. I bought my first custom rifle, an Al Biesen .270, in 1968 at age 22; I only offer opinions on rifles I have actually owned or shot and those of my partners. Hagn, not Hagan, is a superb gunmaker, but, I have seen and shot a number of his boltguns that were less than spectacular, especially for the cost. Stating this is not bashing, it is simply my experience.

There are NOT many "top" gunsmiths in Canada, in fact, there are almost none compared to the USA, where there are dozens of top gun makers. I have found that every one of the gunsmiths in this country that I have contacted was quite eager to do work for me, including Weber, Martini, Uno, Smith, McPhee, Corlane, Prairie, Bevan King and Ted Gaillard as well as Carey Stricker, Bill Leeper and Jim Dugan. I have not found anyone who wanted to avoid publicity or lose the opportunity to build a rifle for a serious gunnut, in fact, Weber was after me for some years to have him do a pair of rifles on some actions I had and to let Steve re-build my Mod. 71.

However, you may know people I don't and perhaps you would be kind enough to share your knowledge and list the smiths you consider "top" with contact info; this would help all of us and be a great boon to everyone. Thanks in advance.