Well, I do annd don't agree with both Cat and Pot, in the first instance, the use of swamped barrels is still very much a part of contemporary gunmaking, as in very high end shotguns and to a lesser extent, in quite a number of c.f. and r.f. rifles. The whole point of this technique is that it be completely unobtrusive, it is a cosmetic adaptation to a certain gunsmithing challenge....to see what I mean, try to find older gunwritings by Warren Page, former gunguru of Field & Stream. A smith can attain the same balance, weight and overall feel with a number of barrel contouring methods, but, "swamping" simply looks better to most people.

I honestly think that a topnotch gunsmith should be able to do first rate work on pretty much any gun, especially action types as closely related as Rem. 700 and Mauser 98 rifles. IF, one smith chooses to specialize, that is entirely different, but, a certain level of overall knowledge and competence is fundamental to this issue, IMHO. I can and have done very sound bedding which allows my well-used rifles to shoot very well, but, I have never and would not try to install a barrel.

Again, we do have different needs and what I find absolutely essential is not what another shooter may deem equally important, however, really fine gunmaking simply stands out and is very obvious to the beholder....take a look at an English or Belgian shotgun, even a boxlock, made from about 1880 to 1939 and you can just see the quality....that's gunmaking, to me.