The criteria for a Gunsmith varies considerably. That is obvious. I have some of my own and am pretty opinionated about it.

I use rifles to hunt with so they must meet the demands associated with this qualifier. It must function properly, point where you aim, and group well enough with hunting bullets to hit game at any reasonable hunting distance. Wood stocks are nice and one that is properly done will function just fine for most hunting purposes. Myself, I prefer synthetic handles. Engraving has no place on my rifles and you will look long and hard to find a "complete" gunsmith that is any good at it.

I've had more rifles that have come from gunsmiths that didn't meet this criteria than those that did which is unfortunate. Because of this I've a rather jaded view of a lot of gun plumbers. For my money and wants, Bill Leeper is the best in this Country. There is a reason he's so backlogged, and what he does with his time is his business.

The remainder of my rifles, if politics allow, will be built by D'Arcy Echols. He is, in my mind, the best complete riflebuilder in North America. Quite possibly the world. He is an artisin in both wood and metal and has built rifles on 700's, 70's, 98's, Dakota's, Hagn single shots, Modern Mausers............... I've seen examples of most of these, and there isn't any room for wanting. He build's the complete rifle excepting the barrel and the finished rifle is 110% when the customer takes possession. This includes barrel break in, initial load development, scope mounting etc.......... You pay for it, but in my eyes it's worth it. Especially considering it's built to last beyond my lifetime.

Chuck