Interesting and informative discussion. Thank you.

1. Best suited to a narrow audience makes sense to me. I tried a different, but similar kit for my first scope mounting attempt 2 yrs ago. The alignment tools were handy and reliable. Having machined steel components assured a repeatable level of precision. I'd include relatively inexperienced who might want to mount several to many future scopes in the potential market though.

2. I can't say I get the pencil analogy in this discussion though:

"One thing many people don't realize about the common pair of pointy-tipped mounting bars is that just because the points of both bars align doesn't mean the rings are aligned. This is easily proven by taking two pencils and putting the points together. The angle of each pencil can vary considerably"

Doesn't the rifle make a straight mounting base? Beginning with that assumption, I can't figure how 2 metal "pencils" with machined, centered points wouldn't help align the ring bases. Error is possible but only if I ignore the rifle underneath. Prob I'm missing something, eh?

3. An additional feature that came with the kit I ordered also helped the rings grip the scope barrel better - better fit and more surface area. Lapping compound on the alignment bar was useful to remove excess material, which put more ring surface on the scope and removed the sharp edge which could have marred the scope barrel. A torque driver was also included which guided the mounting force I used on the torx screws - something also prob not needed for the more experienced, but it gave me some confidence I was putting enough force into the job and w/o stripping anything out.

Good thread. Thanks.